Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Chinoiserie

My latest project at CCAD is an Interior Project in which we had to choose a Period Style to incorporate with our designs. I chose to work with Chinoiserie, which was when China began trading with the West, and the Westerners began to create work in what they thought China's creations were like.



Initially I began my project with drawing boards. Hartlepool Flea Market was a great start to find some plates and vases with Chinese style patterns.

I then developed my drawings into repeat patterns, which I loved doing!



Although my designs are based on Chinoiserie, I have also taken inspiration from original Chinese designs. I visited the Oriental Museum based at Durham University. I used the visit to find inspiration and ideas on colour decisions for my final designs. Although I love the Blue and White China, which is so evident in my research, I would rather broaden my colours. I would also prefer to avoid using the Blue and White theme because it has been done before so many times; shown below in my up-most favourite example from Roberto Cavalli Autumn/Winter 2005/2006.  Although the museum is not huge, it was enjoyable and I would definitely recommend a visit.





All images are my own except Roberto Cavalli
Check out Roberto Cavalli's Collection here
Check out the Oriental Museum here

No comments:

Post a Comment